The Read Machinery Co., Inc. was founded in 1906 by Harry Read for the purpose of manufacturing vertical mixers and bakers' machinery. With facilities located in Glen Rock, PA and another in southwest York - Read Machinery became one of the world's largest manufacturers of bakery machinery. At its peak, Readco employed 190 people at its Glen Rock plant before losing it to fire in 1921.
Operations continued at the York, PA plant where over the years, Read Machinery would manufacture many different types of mixing equipment - including ribbon blenders, vertical mixers, Sigma blade batch mixers, pug mills and pin mixers. In the 1920's the company expanded their product line to include process equipment for the chemical industry; specializing in pressure vessels, vacuum mixers and material handling equipment within their chemical division.
The creation of a chemical division allowed Read Machinery to gain entry into the United States war effort a decade later during the opening years of World War II. In 1938 Readco began work on mixers to be used for smokeless explosive powders. In that same year, Read Machinery was awarded the first ever private contract from the U.S. Army to manufacture 60mm. trench mortars and would later manufacture 105mm. high explosive shells.
Read Machinery's considerable engineering talents were also utilized at this time for the design, engineering and construction of war equipment and material ranging from small arms powder-cutting machines to portable bread dough mixers to steam torpedoes. Read Machinery's engineers worked with the Quartermaster Corps to engineer complete bakeries designed to supply army camps as large as 70,000 men. In 1943, Read Machinery began to manufacture vital process equipment for making the atomic bomb that would eventually bring the war to a close.
After the war, Read Machinery would again concentrate on its regular product line of baker's equipment. However; over the next decade the company would begin to move in the direction of mixing machinery and equipment and would begin to build a strong reputation as leaders of Sigma blade mixers and ribbon blenders. In 1957, Read Machinery purchased the assets of Standard Stoker Co. out of Erie, PA and began producing screw conveyors for transporting coal to locomotives. Readco's patented twin screw design for their Continuous Processor would, in-part, be inspired by this technology.
In 1959, Read Machinery became Read Standard Corporation after it was purchased by Capital Products Corporation out of Harrisburg, PA and began production of metal windows and doors, street lamp poles and eventually automatic welding equipment. In 1960, patents were developed for the Readco Continuous Processor of which the first ever was built in 1961. Today the Continuous Processor is Readco's most successful and lasting product line.
Readco would change hands again in 1963 when the company was sold to a group of local investors becoming Read Corporation and again in 1968 becoming Teledyne Readco. In 1996, Readco was once again purchased by the Pennsylvania Growth Fund where its name was changed to Readco Manufacturing. In 1990 Readco purchased the rights to manufacture a tumble powder blender line from Lightning Mixers out of Syracuse, NY. Readco redesigned this product line and now calls it the CBM or Containerized Batch Mixer. The CBM is now one of three product lines offered by Readco.
In 2003, after more than eighty years, Readco Manufacturing moved from its facility on Richland Avenue in southwest York to its present location on Grim Lane in east York. In 2006 Readco was purchased by Kurimoto Ltd becoming Readco Kurimoto LLC. Kurimoto Ltd was a Readco licensee in East Asia for twenty five years producing the Continuous Processor. Learn more about Readco Kurimoto's parent company, Kurimoto, LTD.
In October of 2012, Readco launched the SCP, or Self-Cleaning Processor. This latest addition to Readco's product line was designed for material separation and moisture extraction.
Today, Readco remains one of the most well-known and respected manufacturers of Continuous Processors in the world.